Applying a Condom Catheter
1. Perineal care to be applied first.
2. The protective backing from the catheter’s adhesive surface is to be removed.
3. The catheter is to be rolled onto the penis from the tip to the body.
4. Between the penis and the end of the catheter, there should be about 1 inch of space.
5. In order to secure the catheter, apply tape in a general spiral direction. In order to avoid a tourniquet effect, make sure you do not fully tape the penis.
6. The catheter must be connected to the drainage bag.
7. The catheter should be taped to the inner thigh of the patient to avoid troubles.
8. The drainage bag must be fastened to a non-moving part of the bed for safety.
9. The procedure and the response of the patient must be recorded completely.
10. For perineal care, remove the catheter once daily, and report any abnormalities immediately.
11. The output total should have the specimen amount added.