Measuring the Respirations
1. Place the resident in the supine or sitting position and make sure you have visibility of the chest.
2. After placing the resident’s arm across their chest, maintain the position of your hand on the upper abdomen or chest.
3. While maintaining conversation in order to provide distractions, keep close watch of the respiratory cycle, and watch the sweep hand of your watch. Count the respirations for half a minute and multiply the count by 2.
4. Count the respirations for 60 seconds in case they are irregular.
5. Record all the characteristics you have observed within the facility form.