Performing Ostomy Care
1. Remove the ostomy appliance from the skin with great care.
2. Clean the skin around the stoma gently, and then dry out with washcloth.
3. Place a skin protector according to orders.
4. Note the characteristics of the stool collection after emptying the bag.
5. Wash everything carefully with water and soap.
6. Based on manufacturer’s instructions, place the appliance back and make sure there are no leaks.
7. Record the whole procedure and make sure you notify the nurse about any abnormalities.